While schools were closed during Spring Break last week, several groups continued the Spread the Word to End the Word campaign throughout the Panhandle area. Through the end of last week’s activities, the pledges to end the R-Word reached 500. Below is a summary of last week’s activities. Be sure to check out the video PSA done by Crockett Middle School!
Uniting Parents: Over 150 pledges collected
- Maria Garcia of Uniting Parents will be taking the lead collecting signatures throughout the Panhandle. Maria along with help from her son, SOTX athlete Joe Garcia, and friends will be asking community members to take the Pledge all month long.
WTAMU Men of Honor: Event next week on March 22nd
- West Texas A&M Men of Honor will be having a Pledge Day at the JBK Student center on the Campus of WTAMU on March 22nd. They will be challenging students to take the pledge.
AT&T: Over 50 employee pledges
- AT&T is participating as a company based challenge.
Galaxy 567 Student Ministries: Over 100 pledges
- Hosted a group of 5th – 7th grade students from God of Wonders Fellowship in Amarillo. This group, with the lead of Deadra Carver and Andy Cortez, have decided to take the pledge to Spread the Word to End the Word. These students are collecting signatures throughout the Panhandle and will have an event to get their entire church involved following Spring Break.
Randall High School: will be getting materials to have a pledge day.
Crockett Middle School:
- The students created presentations, wrote speeches and went into all of the Science classes and spoke with them about why the R-word is offensive and who is affected by the use of the word. They also shared their experiences with people with disabilities and how those experiences have impacted them personally.
- The students had daily announcements where they include information from the R-word website. Students also create visual displays about various disabilities that they set up in the library.
- On Friday, one of the STEP kids and one of my students sang in the talent show. The talent show was closed out the talent show by doing a RESPECT chant with our Student Council & the other talent show performers.
- Here is video of the children singing: https://youtu.be/Qh7gptLTOzQ
- They also create a PSA video each year & here is the one from this year: