Families are FUNdamental!
Families are a fundamental component to the Special Olympics Texas program. Family involvement is important because:
- Family members care about their athlete and are proud of them when they participate.
- We need input on how things should be done and families often have good ideas.
- Many times it is the family that encourages and assists the athlete in being able to participate.
- Family members are often our most dedicated coaches and volunteers - they get things done!
- Families see first hand what involvement in Special Olympics Texas can do to benefit their athlete; they believe in the mission.
Get all the information you need from the Families Information Guide.
Transition Planning Brochure - Making the transition from a school-based to an adult Special Olympics Texas Team. For specific area information contact your Area Director.
Young Athletes Information Sheet - Information on Young Athletes between 2 and 7 years old.
We need your input!
Special Olympics Texas plans to develop a Resource Center for families and caregivers of athletes at the chapter office. We want to know what is important to you and your Special Olympics Texas athlete. Please click here to download a questionnaire.
State Families Committee Activities
- Host a reception area at all state games.
- Provide Ed. tracks for families at the annual conference.
- Represent family issues on the Board of Directors and Committees.
- Try to provide information and resources to families throughout Texas.
- Encourage growth of family involvement at the area level
If you want to get involved at the area level, contact your Area Director.
View the State Family Resource Network.
Ways to Get Involved
- Write a newsletter article
- Help provide transportation
- Help with fundraisers
- Be on a calling tree
- Support your athlete
- Attend family meetings
- Bring in a new family